On 17. October I finally finished Nyx+Nyssa Chapter 1 Draft 0. Yay! Progress and Vindication! My process so far worked!
Outlines for me are useless to decide the shape of the story, but page breakdowns… Now those are helpful. Every weekend I plan out next weeks drafting out in my little google tables sheet. It’s just one sentence per page, detailing the most important action. But it makes things so much faster.
- If I have no clue where to start, I’ll procrastinate. Without fail. Easiest remedy is to just add a smidgen of dialogue to the next page before I set the document down for the evening.
- Drafts and Layouts need far less detail than I initially thought. The difference between the chapter’s first page and the last one is stunning.
- This whole thing will need so much editing. So much editing. I took notes of what I want to change whenever I thought of them and moved on. Seems to work!
- I appear to live and die for cute facial expression. Both Nyx and Nyssa do a lot of them. I was surprised when I realised that. My husband wasn’t. The things I learn about myself these days…
- My mind started equivalencing “comic draft done today” with “being accomplished”. Hm. Not sure how I feel about that.
All in all I can be quite happy with how this turned out.
The big niggle, however, is that Chapter 1 Draft 0 took too long. Nearly three months. True, I had to basically figure out how to write this comic from scratch, but that’s getting better – The second half went much faster than the first half for exactly that reason. My big enemy, however is procrastination – I tend to do every task possible before sitting down with the comic and I do not quite know why.
Something to figure out next chapter, I suppose. Hopefully it’ll be faster. I’m aiming for six-eight weeks, this time. I am after all still doing all this streaming besides it.